Everything You Need To Know About Dewy And Matte Foundation
If you’re into beauty and makeup, you’ve probably asked yourself this question: Should You go with dewy or matte foundation. Unlike what most people may think, choosing between these two finishes isn’t as easy as it seems. One of the most common factors when determining whether you should do with a dewy or matte formula is your skin type. If you have dry skin, you’ll probably choose a dewy foundation. On the other hand, if you have oily skin, then a matte finish is the way to go. However, there are more factors that you should consider when determining which foundation finish you should go with. In this article, we’ve compiled some of the best tips to help you decide whether you should be using a dewy or matte foundation. We’ll also cover everything you need to know about these two finishes of foundation. So, if you’re interested to find out more, keep reading!
What Is Dewy Foundation?
Most dewy foundations are formulated with ingredients that help the skin look moist and glowy. These ingredients include natural oils and humectants. Humectants are commonly used in makeup and skincare products to provide hydration to the skin. Oils that are usually found in dewy foundations include almond and jojoba oil. The combination of these types of ingredients helps to keep your skin and makeup looking hydrated, youthful, and supple. Thus, this makes dewy foundation popular among those with aged skin or dry skin.
The Pros Of Dewy Foundation
- The use of ingredients like natural oils and humectants in dewy foundation gives the skin a supple and hydrated appearance.
- Dewy foundations are usually more lightweight compared to matte foundations. So, they’re extremely buildable and easy to blend. They can be applied using a foundation brush, a makeup sponge, or even your fingers.
- Foundations that come with a dewy finish often vary in terms of coverage. If you’re looking for something really sheer, or something that provides a lot of coverage, you’ll definitely be able to find a dewy foundation that suits your preferences!
- Dewy foundations are known to give you that youthful, radiant glow because they reflect light.
- Because dewy foundations are lightweight and blendable, their use isn’t limited to just your face! You can use dewy foundation on your legs, back, neck, you name it!
A weightless and super nourishing foundation that gives you natural, all-day wear. It is easily buildable and blendable; leaving you with a smooth, dewy, imperfection-free finish.
Meant to give you an effortlessly flawless look, this foundation provides light to medium coverage while blurring pigmentations, dullness to give you luminous skin.
A water-based, oil-free foundation that will give you 12 hours of coverage and a natural finish. It is even enriched with Vitamins C, E and F to ensure that your skin stays moisturized.
The Cons Of Dewy Foundation
- Dewy foundations aren’t very long-lasting so you may have to touch up your makeup throughout the day.
- If you want to cover up skin concerns like severe acne, hyperpigmentation, and melasma, dewy foundations may not offer the amount of coverage you require as they tend to be more sheer compared to foundations that have a matte finish.
- If you have oily skin that tends to get shiny and greasy during the day, then you probably want to be careful if you choose to wear dewy foundation. As dewy foundation reflects light, it tends to make the skin look shiny as well — something you definitely want to steer clear of if you have oily skin. What’s more, dewy foundation tends to smudge and melt off easily on oily skin.
- Lastly, dewy foundation tends to highlight the appearance of blemishes and breakouts. If you have troubled skin, this may be something worth taking note of, especially if you’re looking to conceal your blemishes.
What is Matte Foundation
Unlike dewy foundations, matte foundations don’t leave your skin looking shiny. They also come in a variety of formulas including cream, powder, and liquid, compared to dewy foundations that usually only come in a liquid formula. What’s more, besides keeping your skin shine-free, matte foundation is also best known for its amazing coverage. Whether you’re looking to conceal tattoos, redness, blemishes, or other skin conditions, matte foundation will provide you with the coverage you’re looking for! As such, this makes matte foundation popular among those with oily skin and skin conditions.
The Pros Of Matte Foundation
- Matte foundations are perfect for those looking for full coverage. This type of foundation tends to be highly pigmented. So, you don’t need to worry about applying a lot of layers of foundation before getting the coverage you want.
- If you find that your skin or makeup gets oily or greasy easily during the day then foundations with a matte finish are the way to go.
- Matte foundations eliminate excess shine so you don’t have to worry about constantly blotting away any excess facial oil.
Matte foundations have great longevity. You can apply it in the morning and not have to worry about your makeup smudging, shifting, or melting throughout the day. If you’re the kind that doesn’t want to worry about redoing their makeup, then matte foundation is perfect for you.
- As mentioned previously, matte foundations come in all sorts of formulas. Cream. matte foundation often comes in sticks which make them super convenient to bring around and apply. Powder matte foundations are equally convenient to bring on the go and usually come with applicators, so you don’t need to worry about using a brush or getting your fingers dirty.
A hydrating foundation infused with Hyaluronic Acid to give you a natural matte finish while giving your face the necessary moisture, it is long-lasting and 100% cruelty-free.
A weightless, full coverage foundation that will give you a natural matte finish that is long-lasting. It works to blur your pores and even reduce the appearance of wrinkles.
For those who want a full and flawless coverage, this foundation comes in eight shades and will leave a luminous, streak-free finish when you cover up your dark spots and blemishes.
The Cons of Matte Foundation
- Some matte foundations do their job so well that they don’t just keep you shine-free, they also may make your skin appear dry. If you have dry skin and tend to crack or flake easily, then you may want to pass on using matte foundation.
- Matte foundations tend to be thicker and they dry rather fast. Thus, this may make blending them out a pain unless you’re really quick in applying and blending your makeup.
- Following our previous point about matte foundations being thick, your makeup may look too ‘cakey’ if you apply too much of it. The trick to applying matte foundation is to apply it in thin layers and slowly build coverage. You don’t want to apply too much at one go.
- Last but not least, matte foundation tends to settle into the fine lines and cracks in the skin. So, if you have wrinkles or fine lines, matte foundation may enhance these signs of aging.
With that, we’ve come to the end of this article. We hope that you’ve gained some insight on dewy and matte foundations and which finish suits your skin best.
|1||Wet n Wild Photo Focus Foundation DEWY|
A weightless and super nourishing foundation that gives you natural, all-day wear. It is easily buildable and blendable.
|2||Milani Screen Queen Foundation|
Meant to give you an effortlessly flawless look, this foundation provides light to medium coverage while blurring pigmentations, dullness.
|3||COVER | FX Natural Finish Foundation|
A water-based, oil-free foundation that will give you 12 hours of coverage and natural finish. It is even enriched with Vitamin C.
|4||Smashbox Studio Skin 24 Hour Wear Hydra Foundation|
A hydrating foundation infused with Hyaluronic Acid to give you a natural matte finish while giving your face the necessary moisture.
|5||Charlotte Tilbury Airbrush Flawless Foundation|
A weightless, full coverage foundation that will give you a natural matte finish that is long-lasting. It works to blur your pores.
|6||3CE Velvet Fit Foundation|
For those who want a full and flawless coverage, this foundation comes in eight shades and will leave a luminous, streak-free finish.